Director: Ken Rukavina
Temporary Special Use Permit for RPV Businesses
The City’s Community Development Department is open for walk-in appointments only. Appointments are available Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed noon to 1:00). Please visit the City’s Corona Virus Update Homepage for the latest information regarding the use of face coverings and social distancing requirements while visiting City Hall.
To schedule an appointment by telephone with a representative from the Planning, Building & Safety, Code Enforcement or View Restoration Divisions, please dial (310) 544-5228 to reach the desired division.
Appointments can also be scheduled via email. To schedule an appointment, please send an email to:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING WALK-IN APPOINTMENTS:
- It is highly recommended that appointments be scheduled and confirmed ahead of visiting the Community Development Department.
- When requesting an appointment, please provide project address or applicable application/permit information and include contact information as well as a preferred method of communication.
- When arriving for an appointment, please call or email the Staff member who confirmed your appointment to inform staff of your arrival. Staff will then contact you when it is your turn to be assisted.
- If you come to the Community Development Department without an appointment, you will be asked to call the Department from the parking lot at (310) 544-5228.
- The Community Development Department is only allowing one person at a time to be served and pre-scheduled appointments will be handled first. You will be directed to wait for the next appointment or if no one is being helped you will be assisted.
Virtual Planning Counter Hours
In addition to walk-in appointments, representatives from the Planning Division are also available to provide virtual assistance and answer project-level questions.
Virtual Planning Counter Hours are available Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed noon to 1:00).
To schedule an appointment with the Planner On-Duty, please send an email to:
Once an appointment request is received, a representative will respond with virtual meeting instructions.
Drop-Off & Pick-Up Services
Plans and application materials may be dropped off or picked via a designated location outside of the Community Development Department.
It is recommended that such services be coordinated with your Project Planner or designated staff member.
The purpose of the Community Development Department is to ensure the orderly physical development of the community by upholding the goals and policies of the city’s General Plan through the issuance of land use entitlements and permits for improvements and development of private property.
The department is comprised of the following 4 divisions that oversee the general functions described:
The department also staffs the Planning Commission.
Building & Safety
Planning & Zoning
Code EnforcementPhone: 310-544-5281
View Restoration/PreservationPhone: 310-544-5288
Community DevelopmentPhysical Address
30940 Hawthorne Boulevard
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275
Monday through Thursday
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (closed noon to 1 p.m.)
7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed noon to 1 p.m.)
ConstructionAllowable Construction Hours
Monday through Friday
7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday or Legal Holidays
No work allowed, unless a Special Construction Permit is obtained at least 48 hours before work is to begin.