Closure and Reopening Information
For information on reopenings under L.A. County's Health Officer Order, visit the Health Officer Order page.
City Hall Open to the Public
City Hall is open to the public during normal business hours. To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, visitors are required to wear face coverings and adhere to physical distancing guidelines. Some employees are working on rotation and may be working remotely.
If you need to visit City Hall, please schedule an appointment in advance by calling the appropriate department and follow all posted instructions during your visit (virtual appointments are encouraged as an alternative, if possible). No more than 1-2 visitors and one employee are allowed at each public counter. For a list of department phone numbers, visit the Staff Directory on the City website.
The following safeguards have been implemented at City Hall to protect the health of the public and employees:
- Plexiglass partitions have been installed at public counters.
- Hand sanitizing stations have been installed at building entrances.
- Paper towels are available at building entrances for opening doors, and trash cans are available for paper towel disposal.
- Deep cleaning is performed throughout the day and public counters are sanitized between visits.
- Markings have been placed on the ground noting physical distancing requirements.
When you visit City Hall:
- Wear a face covering.
- Check the monitor outside of the Community Development building for instructions and real-time availability.
- Waiting in the lobby will not be permitted. If another visitor is ahead of you, do not form a line outside, but return to your car and call the department to add your name to the wait list. Remain in your car (or park grounds) until a staff member can assist you.
- If you do not have an appointment, please sign in by phone and wait in your car (or park grounds).
- Use hand sanitizing stations prior to entering buildings.
- Minimize surface contact.
- Maintain physical distancing of at least 6 feet.
City Hall is located at 30940 Hawthorne Boulevard. Regular business hours are 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Monday - Thursday and 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Friday). The main phone line is 310-544-5200.
RPV Beaches, Parks and Trails Open
In accordance with guidance from the County of Los Angeles, on May 13, the City of Rancho Palos Verdes reopened beaches, parks and trails, including the Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, with physical distancing required.
The City encourages residents to participate in recreational outdoor activity in their neighborhoods. If you visit these areas, please do so responsibly, be mindful of your interactions and wear a face covering. All visitors MUST practice physical distancing, staying 6 feet away from others not in their household. Face coverings are mandatory at beaches when out of the water and around others. Face coverings are required at trailheads, parking areas, and on any trails where there are other groups of people nearby. Children under age 2 and anyone who has trouble breathing should not wear face coverings.
City Staff, Park Rangers and law enforcement are monitoring these areas to ensure compliance with public health directives, and parking restrictions will be enforced. Pursuant to the City Council’s March 17 local emergency proclamation, the City may close these areas if rules are not observed by the public and conditions become unsafe.
Please note that some trails may remain closed, and some trails may have designated directions of travel to encourage physical distancing. Please check rpvca.gov/trails for up-to-date information on temporary trail closures and trail circulation plans.
The Eastview Dog Park and the Rancho Caninos Dog Park are open. The tennis court at Upper Point Vicente Park and the paddle tennis courts at Ladera Linda Park are open. Both amenities have restrictions to comply with physical distancing and safety. Basketball courts at Ryan Park and Ladera Linda are open with restrictions.
Baseball and soccer fields (individual, passive use allowed; groups and organized sports not allowed), park buildings (exterior park restrooms are open)
Trails Do’s and Don’ts
- Check the status of trails before you visit at rpvca.gov/trails.
- Follow all Preserve rules, regulations and posted access restrictions.
- Stay at least six 6 feet from others who are not members of your household at all times.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Pack out all trash.
- Don’t use trails that you know are crowded.
- Don’t leave your home if you are sick with a fever or respiratory symptoms or are currently under isolation or quarantine.
- Don’t gather in groups or linger at any one location except as needed for brief rests.
- Don’t share food or water while out on the trails.
RPV Playgrounds Open
The City of Rancho Palos Verdes has reopened all playgrounds in compliance with Los Angeles County’s revised Health Officer Order. All visitors to City playgrounds must comply with posted guidelines that outline the following requirements from the California Department of Public Health:
- Face masks over the mouth and nose are required for everyone 2 years of age or older with caregiver supervision at all times to ensure face mask use.
- Do not use the playground when different households are unable to maintain a physical distance of 6 feet.
- Caregivers must monitor to keep adults and children from different households at least 6 feet apart.
- Consider coming on different times or days to avoid wait times and potential crowded times.
- No eating or drinking in playground, to ensure face masks are worn at all times.
- Wash or sanitize hands before and after using the playground.
- Elderly and persons with underlying medical conditions should avoid playground when others are present.
- Limit visit to 30 min per day when others are present.
Due to a recent unrelated inspection of playground equipment by the City, some equipment will remain closed to the public until further notice so upgrades can be installed:
- Swings for ages 5-12 years at Hesse Park, Ryan Park, Ladera Linda Park, and Eastview Park
- Select playground structure elements, including slides and climbers at Hesse Park and Ladera Linda Park
A schedule for the remaining work is under development and will be shared as soon as it is available. The following equipment is open to the public:
- Playground structures at Hesse Park, Ryan Park, Ladera Linda Park, and Eastview Park
- Swings for ages 4 years and under at Eastview Park and Ryan Park
If you have questions, please contact the Recreation and Parks Department at 310-544-5260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Peninsula Seniors Scriba Family Center is closed and all in-person classes, trips, lectures and activities are temporarily postponed until further notice. Virtual activities are taking place via Zoom. For more information and a calendar of virtual events, go to pvseniors.org or email email@example.com.
For information on local schools and colleges, visit the Education page.
Palos Verdes Library District branches are closed until further notice. Online services are available 24/7 at pvld.org. Book drops are open and holds on library materials are being accepted online, through the Palos Verdes Library District app or by phone. Curbside hold pickup is available at all library locations. Patrons can drive up to either Peninsula Center, Miraleste, or Malaga Cove Library branches to pick up their holds from Tuesday-Thursday and Saturday at 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more information, visit pvld.org/curbsideholdpickup
Los Angeles County Library branches are closed until further notice. Holds are available for Sidewalk Service pickup at select libraries. Holds may be picked up Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Book drops at all 85 locations are open. All due dates on existing checkouts have been extended to July 15. Customers can contact their local library Monday – Friday, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. for information, services, and resources during the closure. For more information, visit lacountylibrary.org/coronavirus
Los Angeles Public Library branches are closed until further notice, though some locations offer Library To Go holds pickup. All due dates on existing checkouts have been extended to September 30. Due dates on new items checkouts will follow standard borrowing schedules. Librarians are available to provide assistance through the web-based service, Ask A Librarian. Digital services are available 24/7 at lapl.org. For more information, visit lapl.org/coronavirus
Palos Verdes Peninsula Transit Authority
PVPTA offices are closed to the public. The office is staffed and available for customer service via telephone or email. Due to school closures, only Line 225/226 is currently running. Dial-a-Ride services remain available. Free, 24/7 emergency taxi service is available for Peninsula seniors (ages 62+) and/or persons with disabilities who are not members of the existing Dial-A-Ride program. For more information, visit http://www.palosverdes.com/pvtransit/index.cfm?pg=dial-ride. Trips can be taken anywhere on the Peninsula for any trip purpose and to surrounding cities for medical trips only. Please contact PVP Transit to schedule a taxi service ride at 310-965-5831 and reference account #12552.
Terranea Resort is open with enhanced standards of care and cleanliness. Any guests traveling to the resort from out of state will be required to stay for a minimum of 10 days, per California state mandate. For restrictions, timely updates and relevant information, guests and visitors are encouraged to visit Terranea.com/updates.
Trump National Golf Club Los Angeles
Trump National Golf Club Los Angeles has reopened to the public with safety protocols. For more information, visit trumpnationallosangeles.com.
Los Verdes Golf Course
Los Verdes Golf Course has reopened to the public with safety protocols. For more information, visit losverdesgc.com.
Household Hazardous and Electronic Waste Collection Events
Los Angeles County Public Works has temporarily suspended all Household Hazardous and Electronic Waste Collection events throughout the county starting January 16, 2021. For more information, visit lacsd.org/hhw.