Do I Need a Permit?


The answer is yes, in California, you more than likely do need a permit. A better question to ask is what doesn’t require a permit. Whether or not you need a permit, we are here to help you navigate the process. Click here to see when a Building Permit is Required

Emergency Repairs

When equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the Building & Safety Department.

Some types of repairs are exempt, and some aren't.

A common statement heard at the counter after one has received a Stop Work notice is: “I was only doing repairs, and my contractor told me repairs don’t require a permit.” While we are sure that your contractor means well, he may not know RPV's code's. It is always better to check with us before you begin work. WORK EXEMPT FROM PERMIT'S can be viewed by clicking here.


         Building or installing:

  • New buildings or structures
  • Raised deck and/or patio cover
  • Fireplaces
  • Garages
  • Swimming Pools and Spas (Including Portable Spas)
  • Storage/recreation buildings
  • Retaining walls and fences

    Adding or changing:
  • Rooms
  • Sliding doors, bay windows or other wall openings
  • Water lines, outlets, drains, fixtures (such as sinks, garbage disposals, repiping,
  • pool plumbing) or any other parts of the plumbing
  • Furnaces or any other parts of the heating and gas system
  • Electrical wire (service panels, circuits, outlets, or any other parts of the electrical
  • systems. See Section 301(b) NEC for exemptions)
  • Walls to enclose a porch
  • Converting a garage to livable area

    Replacing or repairing:
  • Roofing
  • Termite damage work (replacing siding, foundation sills, etc.)
  • Porches
  • Wall covering (stucco, siding)
  • Sandblasting


Any structure, or part of a structure, or any other changes that affect the structure of any building, even an accessory building, on your property.

For commercial and industrial and exterior property owners, permits are also required for tenant improvements such as interior and exterior partitions, kitchen and dining room changes, installation of disabled access features, changes of use, signs and after-hours permits for doing work outside of specified times and dates.