Business License Information
The Rancho Palos Verdes business license ordinance is non-regulatory and has been enacted solely to raise revenue for municipal purposes.
City Council Approved-Small Business Financial Assistance Plan
On April 7, 2020, in an effort to provide relief and promote the general welfare of the City’s small business community experiencing negative financial impacts stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, the City Council unanimously approved the City’s Small Business Financial Assistance Plan. One of the approved options is to process a one-time refund of the Business License Tax paid to the City in 2020. The option is designed to have a simple refund process and we have compiled a list of answers to frequently asked questions about the refund. Please click on the links below to view the refund form and the frequently asked questions.
Please contact the following offices if you have any questions:
- Business License: 310-544-5301 or email@example.com
- Finance Department: 310-544-5304
- All business activity performed within the City of Rancho Palos Verdes requires the business owner to pay the city’s business license tax. This includes any business activity occurring within a residential area (i.e., a home office).
- Any service providers, such as contractors, gardeners, or handymen, whether based in the city or not, are also required to be licensed.
- All businesses are required to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws in order to operate in the city.
- If you conduct business from your home, you are required to adhere to the city’s standards of conduct for home-occupied businesses.
Completing the Online Application
During the online application process you will need to provide the following information:
- Business name
- Business address
- Mailing address
- Type of business (corporation, sole proprietor, partnership)
- Home address
- Social Security number or Tax ID number
- Description of business
- Occupation standards
- Identify the appropriate business license category:
- Business located within the City of Rancho Palos Verdes
- Business located outside the City of Rancho Palos Verdes
- Vehicle Based Business
- Miscellaneous Specified Businesses (developers / builders / bus bench advertisers, etc.)
- Gross receipts
For home-based businesses, verify that you have read and understood the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Home Occupancy Standards (PDF).
The online application process will guide you through the process of calculating your correct business license tax and the steps to pay with a credit card or check.
Other Options for Submitting a Business License Application
Complete and submit your license application in person at City Hall inside the Community Development Department.
Send your completed business license application to:
City of Rancho Palos Verdes
Attention: Business License
30940 Hawthorne Boulevard
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275
For more information on submitting an application or for questions, call the Business License Coordinator at 310-544-5301.