The City of Rancho Palos Verdes offers the following Halloween safety tips:
• Dress like a ghoul or goblin, but stay safe. Make sure costumes and candy containers are reflective. To avoid tripping, costumes shouldn't drag too far on the ground.
• Props should be just that: props. Swords, knives, staffs, and wands should be soft and flexible to avoid injury.
• Use well-marked routes to get to the candy. Always use the sidewalk, and do not cut across yards or use alleys. Cross the road at a crosswalk.
• Trick-or-treat with trusted neighbors.
• When in doubt, throw the candy out. Avoid candy that has loose wrappings, is completely unwrapped, has puncture holes, or is homemade and not factory-wrapped. Small children should not be allowed hard candy, which is a choking hazard.
• Motorists, keep your eyes open for trick-or-treaters on your commute home this evening.