Background Information

Over the years, the peafowl population within the city has grown and expanded its territorial boundaries. While many residents enjoy the presence of peafowl in their neighborhoods, others have reported increased concern and burden of living in close proximity to large numbers of peafowl. Common complaints reported by residents include excessive fecal matter, property damage to roofs, cars, walkways, etc., street traffic disruption, decimated flower and vegetable gardens, noise, and high birth rates.

Historically the city has encouraged residents to practice passive methods of discouraging peafowl from visiting their property, the city discovered that these measures were ineffective when applied to large established peafowl flocks.

General Information


Typically during the spring and summer, it's animal mating season and the peafowl tend to wander far and wide, but they generally return to their regular flock territory in the fall. Peafowl like many wild animals seeks easy sources of food, water, and shelter. In many areas in the city, established peafowl flocks are sustained because residents actively and regularly feed these birds. So as exciting as it is to have an exotic visitor, don't encourage them by offering food. If you'd like to deter the animals from visiting your property, you may want to consider using water to scare them away.


Although there are no statutes prohibiting residents from trapping peafowl on their own private property, peafowl trapping is a unique specialty service not readily found in a telephone book. In addition, the Los Angeles County Animal Control Department does not respond to peafowl service calls unless the bird is injured.


Additionally, according to Chapter 10.84 of our City of Rancho Palos Verdes Municipal Code, it is prohibited from feeding peafowl, coyotes, or any non-domesticated predator. If you do observe Peafowl, you may report this sighting to the city for GIS tracking purposes. If the animal is injured you may contact the Los Angeles County Animal Control by calling 310-523-9566.