- Community Development
- Building & Safety
- Online Plan Check Portal
Electronic Plan Check Review
The online submittal system offers flexibility to applicants who submit engineering and construction documents for review with the City of Rancho Palos Verdes Building & Safety Division. In addition to enhancing customer service and communication, this online system offers financial benefits by reducing paper use, printing costs, driving time, and gasoline consumption.
- Plan Check Requirements
- Plan Check Timelines
- Department/Agency Contacts List
- Revision Requirements
- Resubmittal Requirements
- Submit Plans Here
- Public Works Review
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Why is Plan Checking Necessary?
Plan checking is the detailed City's review of construction drawings submitted by an applicant, to ensure that all applicable building codes are complied with, in order to ensure the health and safety of the occupants and the general public. Even though an applicant may have retained a reputable engineer, architect or other professional, the plans may not be in compliance with the code requirements used by the City. In this manner, the City can be assured of safety in all aspects of construction.
When is Plan Checking Necessary?
Any time construction is proposed, plans are required to be submitted. This could range from a simple partition wall or trellis, to a complete multi-story building. The length of time for plan checking is commensurate with the complexity of the plans and proposed construction. Thus, whenever plans are required to be submitted, plan checking will also be required.
Plan Check Requirements:
The first step, before doing anything else, is to check with the Planning Division to determine if a Precise Plan of Design approval is required for your construction project. In most cases, a Precise Plan of Design must be obtained from the Planning Division prior to any plan check submittal to the Building Division.
The following must be submitted at the time of filing:
1. Complete a building permit application for plan review.
2. All plan review fees, including building, electrical, fire sprinkler, mechanical, and plumbing. The approximate plan review turnaround time can be determined upon submittal. Plan review time may vary due to the complexity of the project and/or the volume of projects submitted previously.
A. Soils Report ( Approved by The City Geologist Prior to Submittal )
B. Structural Calculations
C. Title 24 Energy Calculations
All drawings, structural and energy calculations are to be wet stamped and signed by the responsible discipline of record, architect and/or engineer. In addition, each drawing must contain the owner's name, address and phone number
- Once project status has been set to ACCEPTED 1st submittal will take up to 10 business days.
- Subsequent submittals and revisions once ACCEPTED will take up to 5 business days.
- Corrections/Approvals notifications will be sent by email directly from Transtech via Gopost. Be sure to check your spam messages.
- The applicant will be contacted from an RPV Building & Safety Staff once the plan check is APPROVED.
|Department||Phone Number||Email Address||Website|
|🔥LACFD Hawthorne Office||323-890-4125||Martin.Salazar@fire.lacounty.gov||LACFD|
|🔥Fire Fuel Modification||626-969-5205||ForestryFuelModification@fire.lacounty.gov||Fuel Mod|
|Public Worksemail@example.com||Public Works|
|Transtech||909-595-8599 Ext firstname.lastname@example.org||Transtech|
|Planning Divisionemail@example.com||Planning Division|
|PVPUSD School District||310-378-9966 ext. firstname.lastname@example.org||PVPUSD|
|Los Angeles Unified School District||213-241-0715||DeveloperFee@lausd.net||LAUSD|
|South Coast Air Quality Management Districtemail@example.com||AQMD|
|LA County Health Departmentfirstname.lastname@example.org||LACHD|
Los Angeles County Department of Sanitation
|(562) 908-4288, ext. email@example.com||LACSD|
Revision submittals must contain the following:
- File includes the original issued full plan set with the City approval stamp. If a digital or scanned copy of original approved plans is not available to you, please request the City to mail out your original paper copy of approved plans. Please keep in mind the mail out process could take up to 2-3 business days to prepare for shipping.
- Building Permit Number of original approved plans.
- A clear and concise description of work summarizing revisions to the original plans must be present on a new Plan Check Application .
- A separate file containing the newly revised sheets only, changes clearly highlighted, clouded, and delineated with date of revision. (i.e.: Cloud all changes and note delta number on the title block.)
- Check with the Planning Division to see if your Planning Clearance needs to be updated prior to submitting. ( If Applicable )
- Review period is usually up to 5 business days.
After your initial submittal, you will receive a comment letter outlining the corrections needed or your project may be approved. If you receive comments, you will need to address each plan check comment and resubmit adhering to the original submittal requirements. Additional instructions for resubmittals:
- Include a response letter with a detailed explanation how you addressed each plan check comment.
- Use the same format, plan size and scale as the original submittal.
- Resubmit a complete set of plans.
Plan Check Application Both pages must be signed and a DETAILED scope of work and VALUATION must be provided or your plan check will be denied.
Click Below to Start Process 👇🏽
- Building Height and Location Certification (PDF)
- Building Square Foot Certification (PDF)
- CALGreen 2022 Mandatory Measures Checklist - Residential (PDF)
- Construction Demolition Waste Form (PDF)
- Construction Hardship Request (PDF)
- EV Charger Eligibility Checklist (PDF)
- Grading and Drainage Inspection Certification (PDF)
- Grading and Drainage Plan Check List 2022 Codes (PDF)
- Minimum Best Management Practices (BMPs) (PDF)
- Owner Builder Declaration (PDF)
- Permit Plan Check Extension Form (PDF)
- Pool and Spa Plan 2022 Checklist (PDF)
- Retaining Wall Checklist (PDF)
- Smoke and Carbon Alarm Declaration (PDF)
- Special Inspector Registration Form (PDF)
- Structural Observation Program (PDF)
- Structural Observation Report (PDF)
- Sub-Contractor's List (PDF)
- Bathroom Remodel Requirements (PDF)
- Building Permit Requirements (PDF)
- Best Management Practices Guide for Construction Sites Do's & Don'ts (PDF)
- California Building Codes 2022 FAQ (PDF)
- Commercial Plan Check List
- Electronic Plan Review Guidelines (PDF)
- Fence Wall Requirements (PDF)
- Kitchen Remodel Requirements (PDF)
- Pool and Spa Inspection Procedures (PDF)
- Retaining Wall Handout (PDF)
- Septic Tank Abandonments Procedures (PDF)
- Steps for Obtaining City Approval for Residential Construction (PDF)
- Window and Door Handout (PDF)
- Virtual Building Inspections (PDF)
Questions or Comments:
Tel: (310) 544-5280
Submit For Review
Tel: (310) 544-5279
30940 Hawthorne Boulevard
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275
Monday - Thursday
7:30am - 5:30pm
(closed noon to 1pm)
7:30am - 4:30pm
(closed noon to 1pm)
Saturday - Sunday
Monday - Friday
7:30am - 8:30am
4pm - Closing
Allowable Construction Hours
Monday - Friday
7am - 6pm
9am - 5pm
Sunday or Legal Holidays
No work allowed, unless a Special Construction Permit is obtained from the director. Said permit must be requested at least 48 hours before work.