1. Residential property owner
2. State of California licensed contractor; or
3. An agent for a residential property owner/contractor (with proper authorization)
A residential tenant of a building CANNOT pull a permit unless appropriately authorized as an agent for the property owner or contractor (see below).
The following documents are required to obtain a building permit in Rancho Palos Verdes:
1. Proof of identification (Driver’s License, State Issued ID card, Alien Registration Card or U.S. Passport – photo IDs only)
2. Proof of ownership if there has been a recent transfer of ownership (e.g., Grant Deed, Escrow Closing Statement)
If the property is owned by a Trust, a copy of the trust paperwork showing the trustee or executor as an authorized signatory for the property.
Corporation, LLC or Partnership
If the property is owned by a Corporation, LLC or Partnership, you will need to provide a copy of the operating agreement or corporate paperwork from when the corporation was formed, that verifies the President, Vice President, CEO, Partner, or Managing Member.
Condominiums and Townhomes
If the project is in the common area or exterior of a condominium building, a letter of authorization signed by the HOA president is required along with documentation (e.g., HOA minutes) verifying the authenticity of the president’s position with the HOA. Alternatively, authorization from all condominium owners may be considered.
Agents acting on behalf of property owners shall provide the following additional documentation:
1. Completed "Authorization of Agent to Act on Property Owner’s Behalf" at the bottom of the "Notice to Property Owner Form" with notarized property owner signature.
2. Proof of identification for authorized agent. The name on the authorization form must match agent’s identification.
1. Proof of identification (Driver’s License, State issued ID card, Alien Registration Card or U.S. Passport – photo IDs only)
2. Current City of Rancho Palos Verdes business license
3. Proof of current State of California Contractor’s License classification (pocket card);
4. Proof of valid Worker’s Compensation Insurance
Condominiums and Townhomes
If the scope of work is in the common area or exterior of a condominium building, a letter of authorization signed by the HOA president is required along with the HOA minutes to verify the president.
Agents of contractors shall provide the following additional documentation:
1. Letter of Authorization on the contractor’s letterhead authorizing a person (not a business) to pull the building permit.
2. Proof of identification for authorized agent. The name on the authorization letter must match agent’s identification.