Facilities Expansion Project
On July 12, 2000, the City received applications for proposed improvements to the Marymount College campus. The City determined that the preparation of an EIR was necessary for the proposed project pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). During the preparation of the project's EIR, a geotechnical issue surfaced that prompted the applicant to reconsider its proposal. As a result, the College withdrew the original application on June 12, 2003.
On June 12, 2003, on the same day the original application was withdrawn, the College submitted a new application as a placeholder and informed the City that in response to the new geotechnical studies, as well as concerns raised by Staff during the preliminary review phase, the proposed project would be revised. Detailed plans were submitted on November 18, 2004 which were deemed incomplete on December 17, 2004. On May 25, 2005, new plans were submitted to the City. On August 21, 2005, the City deemed the project application complete. As such, the City has initiated the review process for the project application.
The key components of the proposed project are as follows:
- Two interconnected student residence halls (each two stories and consisting a total of 128 rooms), with 59,164 square feet of area (includes 660 square foot gallery);
- A two-story 33,243 square foot athletic facility;
- A one-story 26,710 square foot library;
- A one-story 1,975 square foot maintenance building;
- A one-story 1,869 square foot art studio addition to the auditorium building;
- A two-story 7,455 square foot faculty/academic building addition to an existing faculty building;
- A two-story 3,492 square foot bookstore/faculty dining addition to the existing Student Union building;
- A one-story 2,100 square foot admission office addition to the existing administration building; and
- The reconfiguration and reconstruction of the entry drive and 463 parking spaces, including 391 full-size and 72 compact spaces.
- The relocation of the four (4) tennis courts and the athletic field from the eastern side of the campus to the western side of the campus;
- The demolition of approximately 18,022 square feet of existing buildings (maintenance/photo lab, bookstore/health center, art studio, library, and preschool)
- Approximately 102,000 cubic yards of associated grading, balanced on-site, consisting of 51,000 cubic yards of cut and 51,000 cubic yards of fill (revised October 2006)
On October 30, 2006, the College submitted a request to modify the project's proposed construction schedule included in the original application. The College is requesting that the City, in its consideration of the proposed project, also consider allowing the project to be constructed in three phases over a period of eight years. The proposed phasing modification will be included in the analysis of the project EIR.